633 West 5th Street
Los Angeles, CA 90071-2043
- Download Vcard
Professional Notes & Events
John M. LeBlanc
John LeBlanc is a litigation partner in the firm’s Los Angeles office. With over 20 years experience, Mr. LeBlanc focuses primarily on litigation and regulatory matters affecting the health insurance and managed care industries.
Mr. LeBlanc represents many of the nation’s leading insurers and health plans, including the largest not-for-profit health care service plan in California. He also represents some of the health insurance industry’s top trade associations.
Mr. LeBlanc has extensive experience, successfully handling hundreds of cases at the state and federal level, at both the trial and appellate level. Mr. LeBlanc’s range of experience runs deep, and covers such areas as claims handling disputes, rescission, fraud, bad faith, breach of fiduciary duty, unfair competition, professional liability, ERISA, and class action.
John LeBlanc not only serves as counsel to his clients, but acts as a strategic advisor, providing representation on a wide variety of day-to-day legal matters. Mr. LeBlanc is the lead co-author of the health insurance and managed care section of the popular and respected Insurance Litigation Practice Guide, published by The Rutter Group.
A few examples of Mr. LeBlanc’s recent experience includes:
- Represented the leading health insurance industry trade association in California in its successful challenge to regulations proposed by the California Department of Insurance.
- Represented California health insurer in obtaining summary judgment in the Superior Court of the State of California in which the court held that health insurer properly rescinded the health policy issued to insured based on material misrepresentations and omissions on the health insurance application.
- Lead trial counsel representing California health care service plan in obtaining directed verdict at trial in rescission matter.
Mr. LeBlanc is also highly accomplished in visual persuasion, creating powerful graphic presentations for opening statements, closing arguments, mediations, mock trials and speaking engagements. He combines his wide litigation background with a unique ability to create presentations that convey authenticity, credibility and, importantly, result in persuasive and winning arguments. Mr. LeBlanc is available to consult with attorneys and create presentations, regardless of subject matter, and then assist the attorney with delivery and presentation.
- Southwestern University School of Law, J.D., cum laude, 1991
Lead Articles Editor, Law Review
- Biola University, M.Div., with honors, 1987
- California State University, Long Beach, B.A., 1983
Articles & Publications
- Supreme Court Upholds Affordable Care Act, But Just Barely
John LeBlanc discusses the Supreme Court’s recent health care law ruling and explains how it was found constitutional. (Westlaw Journal – Insurance Coverage, August 10, 2012)
- Amid Health Reform, Trial Bar Adjusts
John LeBlanc interviewed for LADJ article on health care reform and litigation. (Los Angeles Daily Journal, January 12, 2012)
- Health Insurance Rescission Case Upheld by California Appellate Court
First District Court of Appeal affirms trial court's granting of summary judgment in a health insurance rescission matter. (Barger & Wolen's Life, Health & Disability Insurance Law Blog, December 28, 2011)
- Complete Victory in Health Care Rescission Case
On May 28th, Barger & Wolen client Blue Shield of California won a complete victory in a landmark health care rescission case. (Barger & Wolen’s Life, Health and Disability Insurance Blog, June 01, 2009)
- Coverage in Tatters
Los Angeles partner John M. LeBlanc quoted in a cover article on rescinded coverage. (California Lawyer, February 01, 2009)
- Clarity Legal Software - Customer Spotlight on Barger & Wolen Partner
Interview with insurance litigator John LeBlanc on how he incorporates technology into his legal practice.
- The Rutter Group, California Practice Guide, Insurance Litigation, Chapter 6E, Health Insurance and Managed Care (2002-present) (contributing author)
- The State Bar of California
- American Association of Health Lawyers