633 West 5th Street
Los Angeles, CA 90071-2043
- Download Vcard
Professional Notes & Events
Larry M. Golub
Larry Golub is a litigation partner in the firm’s Los Angeles office. With an AV® Peer Review Rating by Martindale-Hubbell and more than 28 years of civil litigation experience, Mr. Golub’s practice focuses on a wide range of litigation matters for insurance and non-insurance clients.
His extensive insurance expertise, both for property & casualty insurers and life & health insurers, includes coverage litigation, class action litigation, regulatory work and an appellate practice.
In addition to representing insurance companies, Mr. Golub represents agents, brokers and insurance trade associations. He regularly defends against lawsuits brought under California’s Unfair Competition Law and federal RICO.
Mr. Golub’s litigation experience outside the insurance industry includes employment matters, agency disputes and banking issues.
Examples of Mr. Golub’s insurance experience include:
- Defended health insurer in nationwide class action as to termination of block of insurance and alleged claim of improper premium increases, first defeating nationwide class at pleading stage, California statewide class as to termination issues on certification motion, and California statewide premium class on summary judgment.
- Defended life insurer in California statewide annuity litigation, obtaining denial of fraud, breach of contract and bad faith claims following certification motion. Also obtained dismissal of the plaintiffs’ claim for treble damages for unfair competition causes of action, ultimately taking the issue to the California Supreme Court, where the dismissal was affirmed in a written opinion.
- Represented numerous insurers in multiple actions involving hundreds of workers’ compensation claims brought by air ambulance companies, resulting in dismissal of claims before a federal court and two state courts.
- Class action litigation on behalf of life insurers for claims alleging deceptive sales to senior citizens
- Litigation on behalf of life insurers for claims alleging improper sales of annuities and violation of statutory or regulatory laws.
- Class action litigation arising from earthquake claims against property & casualty insurers
- Litigation on behalf of multiple insurers involving hundreds of workers’ compensation lien claims brought by air ambulance companies
- Liability coverage under excess policies concerning claims ranging from wildfires to transformer explosions to environmental pollution to asbestos to construction defects
- Liability coverage issues, including primary and excess, exhaustion, aggregate limits, equitable subrogation and contribution
- Unfair business practices claims, including sales, claims adjusting, reserve and experience modifier practices, non-renewal and title insurance issues
Mr. Golub speaks regularly on insurance-related claims handling topics for continuing legal education providers, clients and trade organizations. He is the Editor of Barger & Wolen’s Insurance Litigation and Regulatory Law Blog.
- University of California, Hastings College of Law, J.D., magna cum laude, 1983
Note and Comment Editor, Hastings Law Journal (1982-1983)
Judicial Extern, California Supreme Court Associate Justice Joseph Grodin, Court of Appeal, First District, (1982)
- University of California, Los Angeles, B.A., magna cum laude, 1979
Articles & Publications
- Two Coverage Cases Wind Their Way Through the California Supreme Court
(Claims Journal, January 23, 2014)
- Health Insurer Again Evades TCPA Suit Over Jobs Calls
Kent Keller and Larry Golub successfully defended client in having TCPA suit dismissed. (Law360 Insurance (Subscription Required), August 14, 2013)
- Zhang Ruling Yanks Insurer Shield Against UCL Claims
Larry Golub provides insight into the recent Zhang v. Superior Court decision by the California Supreme Court (Law 360, August 02, 2013)
- Directors’ and Officers’ Liability Insurance
California Insurance Law and Practice - Chapter 43 (revised) (LexisNexis, April 01, 2013)
- A Duty (to Settle) Too Far
In Du v. Allstate Insurance Company the court found a duty to effectuate settlement where liability is reasonably clear. (Insurance Journal, September 10, 2012)
- Podcast: Stacking of Policy Limits
Larry Golub is interviewed on the recent State of California v. Continental Insurance decision (A.M. Best, August 17, 2012)
- State Supreme Court Rules Against Insurers in Stringfellow Acid Pits Case
The Recorder's coverage of State of Calif. v. Continental Insurance decision quoting Barger & Wolen's Larry Golub (subs. req). (The Recorder, August 10, 2012)
- Calif. Court Says Insureds Can Stack Policies For Max Coverage
Law360's coverage of the State of California v. Continental Insurance decision quoting Barger & Wolen's Larry Golub (subs. req). (Law360, August 10, 2012)
- Iran Investment Bill Well-Intentioned, But Unconstitutional
(Insurance Journal, July 23, 2012)
- No Certification in Massive Wal-Mart Class Action
(Barger & Wolen's Insurance Litigation & Regulatory Law Blog, June 23, 2011)
- California Supreme Court Holds that Zip Codes Constitute “Personal Identification Information”
(Barger & Wolen's Insurance Litigation & Regulatory Law Blog, February 17, 2011)
- Nature and Types of Life Insurance
California Insurance Law and Practice - Chapter 20 (Revised) (LexisNexis Matthew Bender, December 01, 2010)
- Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act of 2009 Now in Effect
(Barger & Wolen's Insurance Litigation & Regulatory Law Blog, September 27, 2010)
- Client Alert: Barger & Wolen Obtains Court of Appeal Decision Affirming Verdict
Kent Keller and Larry Golub recently obtained a successful appellate result in a longrunning bad faith lawsuit.
- Client Alert: California’s Unfair Competition Law Goes Public
(Barger & Wolen Client Alert, August 14, 2008)
- Business General Liability Policies, California Insurance Law & Practice, LexisNexis Matthew Bender (2005)
- Products Liability Insurance, California Insurance Law & Practice, LexisNexis Matthew Bender (1992)
- Identifying and Using Insurance Coverage in Business Litigation, California Continuing Education of the Bar (1984, 1988, 1989, 1991, 1993, 1998, 2001 and 2003)
- Analyzing Coverage: Reading and Interpreting Insurance Policies and Claims Involving Excess Insurance, California Liability Insurance Practice: Claims and Litigation, California Continuing Education of the Bar (1991 and annual updates)
- Insurance Coverage for Employee Claims, Advising California Employers 2d, California Continuing Education of the Bar (Originally written in 1996. Updated for 2009)
- A Checklist for Insurance Coverage in the Employment Litigation Context, Western New England Law Rev., Vol. 18, Issue 1 (1996)
Notable Decisions and Reported Opinions
- California Shock Trauma Air Rescue v. State Compensation Insurance Fund, et al., 636 F.3d 538 (9th Cir. 2011)
- Clark v. Superior Court (National Western Life Insurance Company), 50 Cal. 4th 605 (2010)
- Basurco v. 21st Century Ins. Co., 108 Cal. App. 4th 110 (2003)
- GE Engine Services v. Century Indemnity Co., 250 F. Supp. 2d 1237 (C.D. Cal. 2001), affirmed, 53 Fed. Appx. 812 (9th Cir. 2002)
- Haggerty v. Federal Ins. Co., 32 Fed. Appx. 845 (9th Cir. 2002)
- CARE v. Aegis Security Ins. Co., 92 Cal. App. 4th 886 (2001)
- Fidelity & Deposit Co. of Maryland v. Charter Oak Fire Ins. Co., 66 Cal. App. 4th 1080 (1998)
- Denny’s, Inc. v. City of Agoura Hills, 56 Cal. App. 4th 1313 (1997)
- Wolfe v. State Farm Fire & Cas. Ins. Co., 46 Cal. App. 4th 554 (1996)
- Exportadora De Sal, S.A. De C.V. v. Travelers Indemnity Company, 1994 U.S. App. LEXIS 35440 (9th Cir. 1994)
- Century Indem. Co. v. London Underwriters, 12 Cal. App. 4th 1701 (1993)
- Farmers Ins. Co. v. Superior Court, 2 Cal. 4th 377 (1992)
- Travelers Indemnity Co. v. Gillespie, 50 Cal. 3d 82 (1990)
- Karlin v. Zalta, 154 Cal. App. 3d 953 (1984)
- The State Bar of California
- American Bar Association
- Los Angeles County Bar Association
- Association of Business Trial Lawyers