633 West 5th Street
Los Angeles, CA 90071-2043
- Download Vcard
Professional Notes & Events
- Sep 26, 2013 - Robert Hogeboom to speak at ACLHIC 36th Annual Roundtable
- Apr 01, 2013 - Barger & Wolen Completes First California Demutualization Since 1997
- Jul 26, 2012 - Robert Hogeboom to Present at ACIC Annual Conference
- Jul 28, 2011 - Robert Hogeboom to Present at ACIC Annual Conferencel
- Jun 15, 2011 - Former President of Association of California Insurance Companies Joins Barger & Wolen
- Dec 08, 2010 - Recent Trends in Market Conduct Examinations
- Mar 17, 2009 - Insurance & Regulatory Seminar
- Dec 06, 2008 - Open House Reception at NAIC Winter Meeting
- Sep 22, 2008 - AB 2956 Workshop - Washington, DC (UPDATED)
- Sep 19, 2008 - AB 2956 Workshop - New York (UPDATED)
- Sep 09, 2008 - AB 2956 Workshop - Los Angeles (UPDATED)
Robert W. Hogeboom
Robert W. Hogeboom is the senior insurance regulatory attorney of Barger & Wolen. He has been an insurance regulatory attorney for more than 30 years, representing insurers and producers exclusively on insurance regulatory, corporate and administrative matters before the California Department of Insurance (CDI).
Mr. Hogeboom has handled more than 50 CDI enforcement actions including rating, market conduct and disciplinary proceedings. He also handles writs of mandate and appeals involving insurance regulations and code provisions.
In 2012, he won a major decision invalidating the application by the CDI of the Fair Claims Settlement Regulations as violations in claims examinations.
His corporate practice involves the formation, merger and acquisition of insurance companies, and holding company act compliance including Enterprise Risk. Earlier this year, he concluded the first property and casualty demutualization/acquisition in California in over 20 years. He regularly advises insurers on rate applications, rating exams, claims exams, and consumer complaints. He further has worked on and drafted new legislation during each of the last five years and has testified against CDI-sponsored legislation relating to restitution and reimbursement to CDI for attorney fees in connection with enforcement actions.
Mr. Hogeboom serves as outside special counsel to several producer trade associations and serves as the firm’s liaison to the Association of California Insurance Companies and Pacific Association of Domestic Insurance Companies.
He is one of the original members of the Federation of Regulatory Counsel, a national group of prominent insurance regulatory counsel. He served as its President from June 2000 – June 2001. In 1990, Mr. Hogeboom served as President of the Conference of Insurance Counsel, a group comprised of regulatory counsel in southern California. He is also an approved lecturer on insurance matters for continuing education programs.
Mr. Hogeboom has published numerous articles on insurance law matters including chapters on the topics “The California Insurance Holding Company Act,” “Regulation of Insurer Investments,” “Operation of Life and Disability Insurance Carriers,” “Operating Requirements of Agents and Brokers,” “Surplus Lines Brokers,” and “Disciplinary Actions Against Agents and Brokers” in the LexisNexis/Matthew Bender publication California Insurance Law & Practice. He has also authored articles involving market conduct settlements, consumer complaint regulations, broker fees and the federal Liability Risk Retention Act.
Mr. Hogeboom has participated in numerous insurance seminars on various insurance regulatory topics and has been a featured speaker at insurance and education events, including the Association of California Insurance Companies, the Alliance of Insurance Agents and Brokers, the Federation of Regulatory Counsel and the Conference of Insurance Counsel.
California DOI Task Force
- Prior Approval Rating Watchdog (1997)
- Agents and Brokers Advisory Committee (2008 to 2011)
- Agents and Brokers Subcommittee on Legislation on the Difference Between an Agent and Broker
- WIAA Western Insurance Agents Association Award on Regulatory Lawyer of the Decade 2000 to 2010
- Certificate of Recognition – California Assembly Strickland Insurance Agents Advisory Committee (2007)
- California Department of Insurance – Agent and Broker Advisory Committee (2007-2009)
- California Western School of Law, J.D., 1974
- Stanford University, B.A., 1970
Articles & Publications
- California to consider wide scope of hazardous conditions
Interview re: California DOI's recent action to do with regulations what it has been given no authority to do by legislation (Life Health Pro, August 05, 2013)
- Teeth Pulled from California Regulations
PropertyCasualty360 takes a deep look at two cases that challenge compliance protocols in California. (Property Casualty 360, August 01, 2013)
- California Regulators Guide Insurer Through Demutualization, Acquisition
Robert Hogeboom and Dennis Quinn lead insurer through California's first demutualization in more than 15 years. (Property Casualty 360, April 18, 2013)
- Barger & Wolen Completes First California Demutualization Since 1997
Barger & Wolen receives consent for the conversion of Merced Mutual Insurance Company from a mutual insurer to a stock insurer. (Barger & Wolen's Insurance Litigation & Regulatory Law Blog, April 01, 2013)
- Surplus Line Brokers
California Insurance Law and Practice - Chapter 62 (revised) (LexisNexis Matthew Bender, April 01, 2012)
- Potential Changes to Prior Approval Regulations for Property/Casualty Insurers Under Consideration
Recap of 11/11/2011 CDI workshop to consider potential changes to regulations that govern prior approval of P&C rates (Barger & Wolen's Insurance Litigation & Regulatory Law Blog, November 18, 2011)
- Operating Requirements of Agents and Brokers
California Insurance Law and Practice - Chapter 61 (Revised) (LexisNexis Matthew Bender, May 02, 2011)
- Disciplinary Actions Against Agents and Brokers
California Insurance Law and Practice - Chapter 63 (revised) (LexisNexis Matthew Bender, December 01, 2010)
- Client Alert: Gov. Schwarzenegger Signs Agent/Broker Bill
AB 2956 seeks to clarify the legal distinction between an agent and a broker.
- "California Insurance Holding Company Act," California Insurance Law and Practice, LexisNexis Matthew Bender, "Operating Requirements of Agents and Brokers," Cal. Ins. Law (see above)
- FORC Quarterly Journal of Insurance Law and Regulation: “Key Points to Gillespie’s 103 Decision” Vol. I, Ed. V; “Market Conduct Settlement in California Beware of Pitfalls” Vol. IX, Ed. II (1997); “Quackenbush Scandal Raises Legal Questions” Vol. XI, Ed. III (2000); “The New Standard for Review of Rate Application in California” Vol. 16, Ed. I (2005); “Distinction Between Insurance Agent and Broker in California” Vol. 17, Ed. II (2006); “California Statutory Changes to Protect Broker Fee Charges on Insurance Policies” Vol. 20, Ed. IV (2009)
Lectures and Seminars
- Insurance Roundtable Participant/Lecturer on “Insurance Agents Coping With Recession,” sponsored by WIAA Research & Education Foundation, Market Scout and Insurance Journal.
- SB 631 Restitution, Association of California Insurance Companies’ (ACIC) 22nd Annual General Counsel Seminar (July 28, 2011 | Las Vegas, NV)
- California Insurance Law Update on Regulatory Issues and Emerging Issues Under New Administration” (2011)
- Recent Trends in California Market Conduct Examinations (2010)
- Distinction Between Agent and Broker” (2008)
- Preparation of Prior Approval Rate Applications and Conducting Rate Hearings
- Insurance Roundtable featuring John Garamendi – Regulations and Market Conduct Exams (2002)
Notable Decisions and Reported Opinions
- Globe Life and Accident ALJ Decision on Insurance Commissioner Claims Regulations; OAH No. 2011-090887 (2012)
- ACIC v. Poizner, 180 Cal.App. 4th 1029 (2009)
- American Liberty Bail Bonds v. Garamendi, 141 Cal.App. 4th 1044 (2006)
- Automatic Funding Group v. Garamendi, 114 Cal.App. 4th 846 (2003)
- National Elevator Services, Inc. v. Dept. of Industrial Relations, 136 Cal.App. 3rd 131 (1982)
- The State Bar of California
- American Bar Association
- Conference of Insurance Counsel
- Federation of Regulatory Counsel