925 L Street
Sacramento, CA 95814
- Download Vcard
Professional Notes & Events
Sam Sorich, a respected representative of the California insurance industry for more than 25 years, joined Barger & Wolen as of counsel in June 2011.
From Barger & Wolen’s Sacramento office, Mr. Sorich focuses on expanding the firm’s presence and relationships in the capital, particularly with the Department of Insurance and other state agencies.
Prior to joining the firm, Mr. Sorich served as president of the Association of California Insurance Companies (ACIC) (2002-2010), California’s longest established property/casualty insurance trade association.
As president of the ACIC, Mr. Sorich directed the association’s legislative, regulatory and litigation activities. Under his leadership, the ACIC played a key role in the:
- crafting and regulatory implementation of the 2003-2004 workers compensation reforms;
- development of regulations that implement Proposition 103’s provisions on auto insurance rating and underwriting;
- litigation that determines the scope of the insurance commissioner’s authority over homeowners insurance underwriting;
- legislation that provides consumers with effective disclosures regarding insurance coverages.
Prior to joining the ACIC, Mr. Sorich served as regional vice president of one of the predecessor associations of the Property Casualty Insurers Association of America (PCI) (1985-2002). PCI has more than 1,000 member insurance companies. In that position, Mr. Sorich took an active role in addressing the significant California property/casualty insurance issues, including:
- workers compensation reforms;
- the creation of the California Earthquake Authority;
- homeowners insurers’ responses to numerous wildfires;
- the adoption of fair claims settlement practices;
- and, the ongoing regulatory and judicial implementation of Proposition 103.
While leading the ACIC, he continued to direct PCI’s efforts in Arizona, Oregon, Nevada, Hawaii and other western states. For nearly a decade, Sorich represented the insurers before the National Association of Insurance Commissioners and took the advocacy lead on several important issues including market conduct exams, producer licensing, and insurers’ use of credit information for underwriting and rating.
Mr. Sorich is a graduate of the University of Illinois College of Law. Before beginning his insurance career, Mr. Sorich served as a Peace Corps volunteer and as an assistant attorney general in the office of the Illinois Attorney General. Mr. Sorich is a member of the Illinois Bar and the Hawaii Bar.
Articles & Publications
- California Insurers Asked to Submit Diversity Information About Boards of Directors
Insurers with written premiums of $100 mill or more in California must complete and submit a Governing Board Diversity Survey. (Barger & Wolen's Insurance Litigation & Regulatory Law Blog, July 07, 2014)
- New Insurance Laws and Pending Legislation in California
Here are summaries of noteworthy new laws and bills being considered by Governor Brown. (Barger & Wolen's Insurance Litigation & Regulatory Law Blog, September 17, 2013)
- Podcast: Impact of Recent California Legislation
This podcast addresses recent legislation passed by the State of California, and the potential impact of these bills on insureds (A.M. Best, September 17, 2012)
- Iran Investment Bill Well-Intentioned, But Unconstitutional
(Insurance Journal, July 23, 2012)
- Potential Changes to Prior Approval Regulations for Property/Casualty Insurers Under Consideration
Recap of 11/11/2011 CDI workshop to consider potential changes to regulations that govern prior approval of P&C rates (Barger & Wolen's Insurance Litigation & Regulatory Law Blog, November 18, 2011)
- Hawaii State Bar Association
- Illinois State Bar Association