633 West 5th Street
Los Angeles, CA 90071-2043
- Download Vcard
Professional Notes & Events
- Dec 09, 2013 - Barger & Wolen LLP Secures Summary Judgment On Behalf of Client
- Oct 16, 2013 - Stephen Klein to speak on IADC webinar: Reinsurance 101 - Understanding the Basics
- May 04, 2010 - ARIAS US 2010 Spring Conference
- Jan 23, 2009 - Press Release: Key Win on Appeal for Barger & Wolen Client Virginia Surety
- Sep 03, 2008 - ARIAS Intensive Arbitrator Training Workshop
- Sep 11, 2007 - ARIAS Intensive Arbitrator Training Workshop
- May 05, 2005 - ARIAS-U.S Panel Speaker
Stephen C. Klein
Stephen Klein is a partner in the firm’s Los Angeles office, and has been with the firm since its inception in 1976. A business litigator , Mr. Klein’s practice focuses in the trial and appeal of disputes involving reinsurance, insurance coverage, and bad faith claims.
Mr. Klein has tried and arbitrated cases in California, Oregon, Connecticut, New York, Arizona and Michigan on behalf of insurers and reinsurers. Mr. Klein is admitted to practice before the United States District Court for Arizona, the Central, Southern, Northern and Eastern Districts of California, and the Eastern District of Michigan. He is also admitted to the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals.
Mr. Klein’s insurance litigation experience includes:
- Represents cedents and reinsurers in arbitrations, and state and Federal courts for claims involving mass tort liability settlements, environmental clean-up, construction defects, and fraud in connection with viatical policies.
- Represents primary and excess property and casualty insurers in bad faith and coverage litigation.
- Defends class action litigation on behalf of property and casualty insurers for claims alleging violations of the California Insurance Code, including the mandatory policy provisions of the standard form fire insurance policy.
- Defends insurance regulatory litigation both before the California Department of Insurance and California courts, including prosecution of recoveries from the California Insurance Guaranty Association.
He is an ARIAS certified arbitrator, and has spoken at national conferences on reinsurance, insurance coverage and civil litigation issues.
- Southwestern University School of Law, J.D., 1975
- University of California, Los Angeles, B.S., 1972
Articles & Publications
- Barger & Wolen LLP Secures Summary Judgment On Behalf of Client
District Court Reaffirms “Genuine Dispute Doctrine,” Precludes Bad Faith Claim (Barger & Wolen's Insurance Litigation & Regulatory Law Blog, December 09, 2013)
- Issuance of Insurance Policies
California Insurance Law and Practice - Chapter 9 (Revised) (LexisNexis Matthew Bender, May 02, 2011)
California Insurance Law and Practice - Chapter 11 (Revised) (LexisNexis Matthew Bender, June 01, 2010)
- Client Alert: Virginia Surety Company v. California Insurance Guarantee Association
CIGA ordered to refund Virginia Surety overpayments after insurerer notified they were not renewing any non-warranty coverages.
- Reinsurance, California Insurance Law & Practice (Matthew Bender 1991)
- Issuance of Insurance Policies, California Insurance Law & Practice (Matthew Bender 1986)
Notable Decisions and Reported Opinions
- Truck Ins. Exchange v. County of Los Angeles, 95 Cal. App. 4th 115 (2002)
- The State Bar of California
- American Bar Association
- Los Angeles County Bar Association
- International Association of Defense Counsel
- Defense Research Institute