275 Battery Street
San Francisco, CA 94111
- Download Vcard
Professional Notes & Events
Travis Wall is a skilled litigator who devotes a significant portion of his practice to the defense of insurance companies in coverage disputes. His experience includes property and casualty insurance, life insurance, and ERISA and non-ERISA disability claims.
Recognizing the growing impact of cyber risks on businesses and the insurance companies that provide coverage to them, Mr. Wall founded the firm’s Cyber Risk and Technology Group. He advises insurers on policy and coverage matters involving data breaches and the risks associated with the use of technology and social media.
He also counsels companies on all facets of e-discovery, including the preservation and production of metadata and the latest developments in technology assisted review (TAR).
Outside of insurance, Mr. Wall represents both plaintiffs and defendants in securities cases, including the defense of registered investment advisors and broker dealers in court proceedings and FINRA arbitrations.
He practices before the United States District Court for the Northern, Central, Eastern, and Southern Districts of California, and the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Successfully defended both primary and excess insurers in long-tail claims involving environmental contamination, progressive property damage, and asbestos injuries.
- Lead negotiator for insurer in settlements of widely publicized sexual abuse claims against religious institutions.
- Summary dismissal of lawsuit against stop-loss carrier concerning denial of coverage due to failure to disclose potential large loss claim.
- Prevailed in arbitration on complex commission dispute involving life settlements.
- Defended claims against investment advisor by institutional client to recover investment losses from 2008 stock market crash.
- Prosecuted suit on behalf of state agency in contract and suitability claim concerning purchase of structured investment vehicle “lite” (SIV-lite) backed by subprime RMBS.
- Arbitrated suits before the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA) in claims involving allegations of fraud, unauthorized trading, unsuitable investment recommendations, and professional negligence.
- Spearheaded defense of railroad in complicated real estate dispute with a pipeline company regarding an easement affecting 1800 miles of the railroad right of way.
- University of California, Berkeley, Boalt Hall School of Law, J.D., 1997
Member and Senior Articles Editor, California Law Review (1995-1997)
- University of California, Los Angeles, M.A., Modern French History, 1992
- University of California, Berkeley, B.A., high honors, 1988
Articles & Publications
- Cyberattacks Push Companies to Specialty Insurance Policies
The window is closing for obtaining coverage for cyber attacks under traditional policies. (The Recorder, May 27, 2014)
- Use of cyberinsurance continues to grow
Businesses can protect themselves from the loss of corruption of data but adoption rates remain low. (Dell's Tech Page One, April 15, 2014)
- Allocation Issues in Multi-year, Continuing Loss Cases:
All Sums and Pro Rata, Stacking, And Horizontal And Vertical Exhaustion (Insurance Practices and Coverage in Liability Defense, Second Edition (formerly "Defending the Insured"), December 16, 2013)
- Cyber Risk Trends for 2014
Cyber risk and insurance trends for 2014 as a business concern, and a product line. (Barger & Wolen's Insurance Litigation & Regulatory Law Blog, December 11, 2013)
- The Potential Pitfalls of Joint Representation
A recent appellate decision provides a cautionary tale for attorneys who jointly represent a corporate client’s employees. (Barger & Wolen's Insurance Litigation & Regulatory Law Blog, November 22, 2013)
- Triggering Coverage over Layers of “Self Insurance”
(Barger & Wolen's Insurance Litigation & Regulatory Law Blog, February 13, 2012)
- Horizontal and Vertical Exhaustion, Defending the Insured (Aspen Publishers 2006, 2008)
- Fees, Please: When it comes to arbitration, be careful what you ask for, The Recorder (Mar. 2004 Arbitration and Mediation Supplement, co-author)
- The State Bar of California
- The Bar Association of San Francisco
- BASF Business Law Section, Co-Chair (beginning in 2014), Executive Committee (2012 to 2014)
- BASF Barristers Commercial, Business and Bankruptcy Law Section, Co-Chair (2005-2006)