Vivian I. Orlando
Vivian Orlando is a litigation associate in Barger & Wolen LLP’s Los Angeles office. Ms. Orlando, who joined the firm in 2001, handles a broad range of litigation, including general business and insurance litigation. She is experienced in appellate, class action and complex litigation.
Ms. Orlando has handled cases involving a diverse range of subjects, including claims for unfair competition, false advertising, managed care litigation, business torts, subrogation, insurance bad faith litigation, and disputes before FINRA (formerly called NASD). Ms. Orlando has litigated these matters in federal and state courts, and before arbitration and administrative panels.
Ms. Orlando is admitted to practice before the United States District Court for the Central, Southern and Northern Districts of California, and the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Boston University, M.B.A., 2001
- Boston University, J.D., cum laude, 2000
- Georgetown University, M.S., with distinction in physiology, 1996
- University of Southern California, B.A., cum laude, Biological Sciences, 1995
Articles & Publications
- Exercising Rescission after Commencement of a Lawsuit
(Los Angeles Lawyer, December 09, 2006)
- With Reservations
The hurdle for bad faith claims after an insurer's reservation of rights is to prove financial harm (Los Angeles Lawyer, July 09, 2005)
- A. Williams & V. Orlando, With Reservations, Los Angeles Lawyer Magazine (July/Aug. 2005)
- The Rutter Group, California Practice Guide, Insurance Litigation, Chapter 6E, Health Insurance and Managed Care (2002-present) (contributing author)
- The FDA's Accelerated Approval Process: Does the Pharmaceutical Industry Have Adequate Incentives for Self-Regulation? American Journal of Law & Medicine, Vol. 25, No. 4 (1999)
- Review of the Seventh Circuit's decision in Dinges v. Sacred Heart St. Mary's Hospital, Inc., Journal of Law, Medicine & Ethics, Vol. 27, No. 1 (1999)
Notable Decisions and Reported Opinions
- Greenspan v. Allianz Life Ins. Co. of North America, 2004 Cal. App. Unpub. LEXIS 1144 (2004)
- Berghoff v. Gavrity, 2002 Cal. App. Unpub. LEXIS 7316 (2002)
- The State Bar of California
- American Bar Association
- Los Angeles County Bar Association