Professional Notes & Events
- Dec 08, 2010 - Recent Trends in Market Conduct Examinations
Led by Robert W. Hogeboom, with special commentary from Robert J. Cerny and Western General Insurance Company General Counsel, Daniel Mallut, Recent Trends in Market Conduct Examinations will cover:
- Statutory framework for claims examinations and what §790.03(h) means
- Understanding the Unfair Claims Settlement Regulations and how, if and when
they relate to a §790.03 violation
- The examination process—new trends on which the examination will focus
- Negotiation, resolution and cost
- Order to Show Cause hearing process
- New issues in market conduct compliance
Wednesday, December 8, 2010Who should attend? In-house counsel and senior claims personnel who specialize in the claims examination process and disciplinary actions in California.
Los Angeles Airport Marriott
5855 West Century Boulevard
Los Angeles, CA 90045
10:00 a.m.—2:00 p.m. (lunch provided)
- Nov 09, 2010 - Barger & Wolen Sponsoring 14th Annual Insurance Forum in Chicago
14th Annual Insurance Forum
Tuesday, November 9, 2010
7:30 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.
The Union League Club
65 West Jackson
What is the Insurance Forum? The Forum is an event presented by the Insurance Forum Committee, chaired by Kenneth M. Weine. This is an executive level program designed for insurance and risk management professionals, accountants, attorneys, corporate officers, financial examiners, and regulators.
Can I Earn Continuing Education Credit? Continuing Education credit is available for attorneys, AIRs, CPAs, CFEs, CIRs and other insurance designations. (Certain restrictions apply, so please verify that your designation is approved in the state(s) you require).
To register for this complimentary event, click here
For more information, click here
- Sep 17, 2010 - Barger & Wolen Receives First-Tier Ranking in the Inaugural “Best Law Firms” Survey
Barger & Wolen is proud to announce that the firm has received a first-tier ranking by U.S. News and Best Lawyers® for our Nationwide Insurance practice, as well as our regional practice in Los Angeles. In addition, partners Kent R. Keller and Royal F. Oakes are listed for their work in Insurance Law.
“We are honored to be included with such a distinguished group of law firms,” said Steven H. Weinstein, chairman for Barger & Wolen. “It is especially rewarding to have our peers note our work. It validates, for us, that a mid-sized firm can provide incredible legal services, while maintaining the competitive price structure the insurance industry seeks.”
About the Rankings:
"U.S. News is the world’s leading publisher of institutional rankings based on both objective data and peer evaluations," says Steven Naifeh, President of Best Lawyers. "We are combining this expertise with Best Lawyers’ experience of providing rankings of individual lawyers based on peer reviews for almost three decades. By combining hard data with peer reviews, and client assessments, we believe that we are providing users with the most thorough, accurate, and helpful rankings of law firms ever developed."
- Aug 19, 2010 - Barger & Wolen’s Insurance Law Blogs Named to Top 50 Blogs by LexisNexis Insurance Law Community
Barger & Wolen's insurance law blogs have collectively been ranked No. 5 by LexisNexis in the Insurance Law Community's Top 50 Insurance Blogs 2009 Honorees.
According to LexisNexis,
"These top blogs offer some of the best writing out there. They contain a wealth of information for all segments of the insurance industry, and include timely news items, expert analysis, practice tips, frequent postings and helpful links to other sites and sources.
"Demonstrating on a daily basis that insurance makes the world go round, these blogs also show us how insurance issues interact with politics and culture. These sites also demonstrate the power of the blogosphere, by providing a collective example of how bloggers can—and do—impact and influence the law and the business of insurance."
We are honored to be included among so many well-written and well-regarded blogs.Click here to view the Barger & Wolen Blogs.
- Jun 29, 2010 - Upcoming Webinar: Attorney Conflicts of Interest: Identifying and Resolving Ethical Pitfalls
San Francisco partner David McMahon will present on this CLE Webinar which will provide attorneys with a framework to identify the most problematic and difficult to detect conflicts risks. Hosted by Stafford Publications, the panel will outline best practices for attorneys to cope with conflicts that could otherwise result in disqualification, discipline and malpractice. Click here for more information and to register for the June 29, 2010 Webinar.
- Jun 28, 2010 - Western Claim Conference, “Help - They Want to Take My Deposition!”
Newport Beach partner Robert Hess will present on how to prepare for and give an effective deposition at the 2010 Western Claim Conference (Indian Wells, CA, June 27-29, 2010).
- Jun 28, 2010 - Speaker at Western Claim Conference: Disability Legal Update
Los Angeles partner Martin Rosen will speak on what's new, legally, in the area of insurance disability bad faith at the 2010 Western Claim Conference (Indian Wells, CA, June 27-29, 2010).
- Jun 24, 2010 - Speaker at ACI’s Litigating Disability Insurance Claims Conference
Los Angeles partner Martin Rosen will speak on Point/Counter Point: The Plaintiff and Defense Bar Speak Out on Dealing With Bad Faith Claims in Disability Insurance Litigation at the American Conference Institute's 13th National Advance Forum on Litigating Disability Insurance Claims (Boston, MA, June 24-25, 2010). Click here for the conference agenda and to registration information.
- Jun 01, 2010 - California Insurance Holding Company Act
Chapter revised by Michael L. Rosenfield. Chapter 5, The California Insurance Holding Company Act, analyzes the Act, including:
- the meaning and determination of "control" within the Act
- a domestic insurer's permissible investments in its subsidiaries
- requirements in acquiring domestic insurers
- registration requirements for members of an insurance company system
- filing requirements for specified transactions between an insurer and its affiliates
- prescribed standards for transactions with affiliates
- requirements as to registered insurers' distributions of dividends and other distributions to shareholders
- the recovery of distributions by an appointed receiver if an order has been entered for liquidation or rehabilitation of a domestic insurer
- exemptions from the Act's provisions for commercially domiciled insurers under specified circumstances
- the power of the Insurance Commissioner to examine the registered insurer's records, and
- the several types of penalties for violations under the Act
- May 04, 2010 - ARIAS US 2010 Spring Conference
Los Angeles partner Stephen Klein will be a panelist at the 2010 ARIAS Spring Conference (San Diego, May 4-7, 2010). Mr. Klein will be part of a three-member workshop panel on “Insanity in Action: Hiring the Same Small Pool of Arbitrators and Expecting Different Results.”
- Mar 24, 2010 - 2010 Council on Litigation Management Conference
San Francisco partner David McMahon, will speak at the Council on Litigation Management 2010 Annual Conference, March 24-26 in Ponte Vedra, Florida. Mr. McMahonis slated to speak on the topic “Strategies for the Effective Handling of Complex Claims.”
- Mar 24, 2010 - 2010 Council on Litigation Management Conference
San Francisco partner John S. (Jack) Pierce, will speak at the Council on Litigation Management 2010 Annual Conference, March 24-26 in Ponte Vedra, Florida. Mr. Pierce is slated to speak on the topic “Rethinking Legal Fees In Lean Times.”
- Mar 01, 2010 - Speaker at 2010 Eastern Claims Conference
Los Angeles partner Martin Rosen will speak at the 2010 Eastern Claims Conference, (February 28-March 2, 2010, New York, NY). Mr. Rosen will co-present on "Disability Jeopardy!"
Program description: Bored with the typical claims conference presentation? Know that you have heard it so many times you could give the presentations yourself with one arm tied behind your back? Prove it and come match wits with your fellow contestants! The presenters, an in-house and outside counsel specializing in disability claims handling issues (do not confuse him with Vanna White), offer up an interactive presentation covering both basics and esoterica relating to disability, claims handling, and related issues. Have some fun and learn more than you thought you knew!
- Feb 10, 2010 - Billing and Collecting Client Fees: Ethical Considerations
San Francisco partner David McMahon is a co-presenter for Stafford Publication's CLE seminar which will review the ethical dilemmas that arise due to law firms’ billing and collection practices. The panel will outline practical strategies for avoiding ethical violations and legal liability. For more information and registration, please click here.
- Feb 03, 2010 - (Speaker) Litigating with a Reservation of Rights
Los Angeles litigation partner Andrew Williams spoke at the Los Angeles County Bar Association's Litigation Inn of Court: Litigating with a Reservation of Rights – Ins and Outs, Tricks and Hazards of Capitalizing on Insurance to Benefit Your Client.